Saturday, October 27, 2007

The United 5K

WASH/DULLES AIRPORT-- "C" CONCOURSE -- GATE C-28

5:15PM: I'm on my way back from a trip to Tampa and we had a layover in Wash/Dulles. Our flight to Norfolk was scheduled to leave at 5:35PM, C-concourse, gate C-28. While the team and I were waiting near our gate, I over heard another passenger say the flight was delayed. I looked at one of the large departure boards, and noticed that it still showed our flight leaving on schedule at 5:35PM. So, I wandered up to the guy at the counter to ask about the delay. From the sound of his accent, I wouldn't be surprised if he had arrived just the day before from Jamaica to begin his new job as a United Airline Ticket Counter Guy.

MPO: "Excuse me, is this flight delayed?"
Mr Marley: "Yes the flight is delayed till 6:03PM"
MPO: "You know the board says it's leaving at 5:35?"
Mr Marley: "The board is wrong sir. It's delayed for a mechanical issue"
MPO: "alright, thanks."
Mr. Marley: "No problem." *SMILES with an forced grin that was obviously directed by guidance written in the United Airlines Customer relation handbook*

I go back and inform the rest of the team of the delay, grab a strawberry/banana smoothie and wait for 6:03 to come.

5:40PM: I notice boarding has not begun on our flight, so I take a look at the departure board (it reads 6:03 departure) then go to ask "Bob" for an update.

MPO: "Is this flight still leaving at 6:03?"
Mr Marley: "No sir, the flight is now leaving at 8:10PM. They are still fixing the mechanical problem"
MPO: "You know the board still reads 6:03 departure right?"
Mr Marley: "The board is wrong sir. We will make an announcement when we have any updated information." *SMILES*

I go back to inform the rest of the team that we have a long wait ahead and continue working on the smoothie.

5:45PM: I happen to take another look at the big departure board and notice our flight now says 'Departure: 6:03PM, GATE A-1'. Lets go talk to Bob.

MPO: "Excuse me, but the board now says the flight is leaving in 15min from gate A-1?!"
Mr Marley: *annoyed look on his face* "The board is wrong sir, Its leaving from this gate at 6:03"
MPO: *stares Mr Marley*
Mr Marley: *stares back at MPO*
MPO: "You sure?"*
Mr Marley: *continues staring at MPO*..."Just a moment sir"...*begins to type into the the customer service computer...looks back at MPO...grabs public address microphone* "Ladies and gentlemen, this will serve as a gate change announcement...Flt 7632 to Norfolk is now leaving at 6:03 from gate A-1" *SMILES*

'Stampede' would best describe the ensuing rush of people jumping up to find the fastest way to Concourse-A. We actually made it to A-1 before 6:00 only to find out that the crew had not even arrived. After boarding, the 'Man-Steward' made a joke by welcoming us to flight 7632 to Norfolk and congratulated us on completing the first annual United 5K. He then offered everyone all the Gatorade we could drink. Personally, I thought changing us from C-28 to A-1 with 15min to spare was joke enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, sorry I missed you in Tampa. The moral to your story is to fly MILAIR... :-) I can't tell you how glad I am that my ADC days are OVER. Hooray, ROTC!!

I guess the domain: otoole.superhappyfuntime.com was already taken. :-)

Bruce